Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Holga?

So back into the world of photography...

There's been quite a bit that has happened since my last post.
a)I just upgraded my camera body and now shoot with a Sony Alpha DSLR-A700,
b)I just purchased the Holga GN120 - The 'G-series' glass lens version of the Holga
c)Immersed myself into the world of FIBER PAPER!
d)Feel like I might actually be going somewhere in the world of photography

First things first though, The A700:
Its a stunner and I can't believe the noise comparison at ISO 1600 to the A300. Whats more, I can actually use the ISO 3200 and a somewhat unusable but still handy to have ISO 6400. The body and feel of the camera are much better and the larger view finder makes a world of a difference... I think a larger view finder is key in getting good composition. I always marvel at how much better my film photographs tend to be and often credit it to the amazing view finder of the Maxxum 700si.

I have as a matter of fact achieved exactly what I wanted to: To get sister bodies of Minolta's 700 series with the Sony DSLR-A700 and the Minolta 700si, the later being 2 generations older (Previous bodies include the Konica Minolta 7D, the insanely amazing Maxxum 7).

Still I have to say that buying the A700 made me realize that this isn't quite what I was geared up for. I feel that the digital world is amazing, but my passion for event and studio photography are close to nothing, especially when I'm not being paid very much for using so much of my precious time. Most people don't realize the time commitment that one has to put in to take good photos and then work on them later on... There are constant requests to take pictures at an event free of charge, and the favors don't end here. They want additional work like a CD for example instead of just getting it straight off my website, and that I have to contact this person and that person. I personally cannot understand people who approach you for pro-bono event photographs that take up the bulk of your evening and more time to process and work on the photos. I once read a professional photographer's blog that talked about how shooting for pro-bono makes you exactly that: A pro-bono photographer and because you worked a couple of times for free, everyone expects you to do the same for them. The trap is way too obvious at the beginning and one has to be careful to what extent they take on these jobs.

When I just started shooting, the idea of commercial photography was something that I thought of as exploitation or extortion, especially the ones that charge up to $500/hour. 2 years ago, I would have been honored to take pictures at an event although with little confidence. But I guess its a complicated question here. I would hate to do a bad job and get paid for it. Whats better is that by doing it for free, you start of with low expectations and once you've done well, the praises do a great deal to boost your confidence. Back then, I would have taken whatever I could get as photo opp!

Things have changed now. My roommate and I decided to make something out of event photography as it would fund our much needed and ever ending desire to purchase new gear while giving back in the form of good quality photos. We created a website and decided to go from there. Our first few jobs in the paid photographer league were way below what someone else would have gotten. We averaged some $6/hour each after adding processing time... It felt somewhat bad to know that you're paid below minimum wage while doing a job that deserved so much more. But that's how contracts work. We had agreed to it and were going to a good job no matter what. We've matured quite a bit since, taking on probono contracts only for charities or causes that we truly believe in. For example, both Tyler and I are volunteer photographers for all UNICEF Quebec events. Its our gift to the organization and its efforts and we give in our 100% and enjoy it because we know the value of these pictures. Later this month we are doing the same for a management organization raising money for AIDS. Yet another great cause and I will gladly support it. For everything else though, we've decided to stick with the market (with a slight under-cut since our prices are for two photographers).

You might ask why I've decided to really look so deeply into this issue... The thought really, has come about since it's been a while since I've taken photos for myself. Its been months since I've wandered off to the Old port or somewhere else on my very own adventure, meeting people and asking them if I can snap a quick portrait of them or thinking about the perfect composition of a particular subject. I've even put off darkroom work for a very long time and there is very little that I could call personal in my work as of late. I think its fairly common for people to question their direction and often one finds themselves with a ridiculous answer to it like "I dunno!"

Yesterday evening, I thought I'd finally bite the bullet and make my way into the darkroom to give the new fiber paper a shot. Very expensive it is. Each sheet costs more than a dollar (more than double the price of RC Paper), but from professionals around the world still specializing in darkroom work, I learned that the extra dosh is worth the final quality. I decided to start small and print something a little smaller than 4X6 and giving it a nice panoramic frame (5X8 in total size). This was a special time for me. It brought back all the things I loved about photography and what initially got me into it in the first place. It wasn't just the feel of the shutter as you pressed the shutter release or that thought just after the click of a shutter where you know that 'this one's a definite yes' out of the 36 photo acceptance process. Its the lone times in the darkroom where I would think through things and ease off pressure, in a somewhat meditative environment of slow running water and safety lights. A form of getaway, doing something where the final product is a result of my very own work and very own effort.

Razvan
One of my favourite photos, that's Razvan with his fancy umbrella. He claims to only buy the best umbrellas in the market... Yet he loses so many... This photo was taken with a Minolta 700si with Minolta 50mm f/1.7 lens at f/1.7, shutter speed 1/60 seconds with my favourite film, Ilford Pan F50 Plus


So this is why I took the plunge and purchased the Holga. It would be a step forward in the dying film world and I find both pleasure and fear in knowing that I might be one of the very last people to stop film photography because there is no more film left... Is that even possible? Pleasure because I will take pride in sticking to traditions and still valuing the 'old ways' (like being fluent in Sanskrit or something) Fear because it brings about scenes of Children of men in my head. (Shiver...)

2 comments:

  1. strange... you write about finding style and NG photography, yet you think of covering events as a side job and complain about the time you can spend wandering off to Old port and take time for composition.

    2 different worlds my friend. Get a grip ^_^

    yeah, stick to the film too. You've proven me so many time about the high-dynamic range you can get from it and it's amazing.

    I just don't have time for this too hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!! Yes I know... That's why I bought the Holga. Doing events has financial reasons more than anything... Photography's a pretty pricey hobbie.
    But you're right, I will be doing more and more film stuff once summer hits. :D

    ReplyDelete